Tuesday, April 17, 2018

The Golf Course Management Industry is at a Crossroad

Matthew Klein, Assistant Golf Course Superintendent, myself and Andy Polzin, Assistant Golf Course Superintendent, Olde Florida Golf Club   
Throughout my career I have strived to surround myself with quality people and practice good delegation skills, and in my 25-year tenure at Olde Florida, I have been blessed with numerous talented assistant golf course superintendents. My current assistants Matthew Klein and Andy Polzin are no exception and I am fortunate to have them on my team. Unfortunately, through no fault of their own, many of my peers around the country are not as fortunate.

Skilled labor has become a challenge, and this has the golf course management profession at a crossroad. During my travels around the country as a representative of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA), I've heard numerous stories about labor shortages, in particular the challenge of finding motivated and qualified assistant superintendents. And while I don’t claim to have all the answers to the complex societal and generational issues at play, I believe it is up to all of us — the GCSAA, individual superintendents and the golf industry as a whole to take the initiative to introduce young people to this great profession. Furthermore, it is my hope that, once introduced to the industry, many will become as enamored as I was when I stumbled on the profession and they will want to make it a career.

My presidents message in the April issue of Golf Course Management provides more detail on this subject. 

1 comment:

  1. Great article for the beginners like us . I am a new in this game and enjoying the adventure.

    ReplyDelete